How do I register my address (get an Anmeldung) at LifeX?
One of the first things that you need to do after moving to Munich or also just by moving from one Munich address to another is to register your new address. You will often hear the sentence: ‘You need to get your Anmeldung done!’ Anmeldung in one simple word means registration.
The law in Germany states that one should register his/her address after 14 days of having moved to the country.
Why is it important to register your address?
Once you register your address, you obtain a registration certificate known as your ‘Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung’ and a tax ID ‘Steueridentifikationsnummer’. The certificate of registration is important as it is a proof of address and helps you to complete a Visa application, open a bank account, set up a phone contract etc…
How do you register?
You will need to go to a council ‘Bürgerbüro’ in Munich or one in your area. The different Bürgerbüros and additional information is listed here. There are several ways this can be done.
- This can be done by booking an online appointment here. Please choose 'Meldeangelegenheiten', then select 1 for 'An-oder Ummeldung - Einzelperson', and finally choose a time in of the Bürgerbüros.
- You can dial 115 or 233-96000 and ask for an appointment. This is however not the best option if you are not fluent in German.
- Go without an appointment, get in line and just wait for your turn. This can sometimes last a while dependent on how busy it is.
What documents do you need?
- Bring your passport or ID (European Citizens only)
- Anmeldung Formular (Registration Form)
- Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (Landlord Confirmation) - This document can only be signed by your landlord or the person giving you the apartment. This can also be signed by the main tenant of the property (‘Haupmieter’). At LifeX we provide all our members with this document upon request .