How do I register my address (get an Anmeldung) at LifeX?
One of the first things that you need to do after moving to Berlin is to register your address. You will often hear the sentence: ‘You need to get your Anmeldung done!’ Anmeldung in one simple word means registration.
The law in Germany states that one should register his/her address after 14 days of having moved to the country. The reality is however very different, and you would have surely by now have heard horror stories of how there are no appointments available up to 2 months. Don’t let this scare you as this rule is not enforced in Berlin.
Why is it important to register your address?
Once you register your address, you obtain a registration certificate known as your ‘Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung’ and a tax ID ‘Steueridentifikationsnummer’. The certificate of registration is important as it is a proof of address and helps you to complete a Visa application, open a bank account, set up a phone contract etc…
How do you register?
You will need to go to a council ‘Bürgeramt’ in Berlin or one in your area. There are several ways this can be done.
- This can be done here through the ‘Anmeldung einer Wohnung’. Once you have received set an appointment date, you will receive an email confirmation with your appointment number ‘Vorgangsnummer’.
- You can dial 115 and ask for an appointment. This is however not the best option if you are not fluent in German.
- Go without an appointment, get in line and just wait for your turn. This can sometimes last a while dependent on how busy it is.
What documents do you need?
- Bring your passport or ID (European Citizens only)
- Anmeldung Formular (Registration Form)
- Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (Landlord Confirmation) - This document can only be signed by your landlord or the person giving you the apartment. This can also be signed by the main tenant of the property (‘Haupmieter’). At LifeX we provide all our members with this document upon check-in and upon request .