Housekeepers take out the trash on their designated cleaning days. If the trash is full outside of those days, please take it down to the courtyard into the trash containers yourself.
Recycling signs for different materials in each city vary from one to another. Please take a look at the basic illustrations for the recycling signs in each city below and visit the websites provided for more information before you take action.
You can find out more 👉 here.
How to return bottles in Munich?
In Germany, there is a bottle return system called the Pfand system. When you purchase certain products, you pay a deposit (Pfand) for the bottle. When you return the empty bottle, you get your deposit back. This encourages people to return their empty bottles. The empty bottles are then reused or recycled. At first, it's hard to know which bottles and cans have a Pfand, and which don't.
How to identify the Pfand bottles?
You can recognize Pfand bottles by looking at their labels, usually near the barcode. You have to look closely. Some bottles use logos and some useful keywords.
Where to return bottles in Munich?
• Supermarket: look for bottle return machines. They are either near the entrance, or at the back of the store. The machine will print a coupon that can be exchanged at the cash register.
• Liquor stores: if you have a lot of bottles to return, this is the right place. They will rarely accept anything but beer bottles.
• Spätis: Spätis will accept the bottles they sold you. They are not a good place to return a lot of bottles.
A general rule of thumb: If a place sells Pfand bottles, it also accepts bottle returns. However, please be aware that stores do not need to accept bottle types they don't sell. Even if a bottle has a deposit, the store can still refuse it.
Common bottles with a deposit
These bottles have a deposit. You can return them to any store or supermarket that sells them, and you will get some money back.
• Beer bottles
• Soft drink bottles (glass or plastic)
• Aluminum cans
• Water bottles (glass or plastic)
• All multiple-use (Mehrweg) containers
🤷♀️ For glass bottles that are not a part of the Pfand system - Special bins & where to find them?
If you're in doubt of where the nearest bottle recycling bin can be found, you can search for one using this website.